Our primary focus is education… We do not operate just as a provider of paid childcare.
There may be times when places will be prioritised at the discretion of the Head in consultation with the Admissions Panel
Red and Purple Room – applying for a self-funded day care place
To register for a place in Red and Purple Room (for children under 3) you will need to come in to reception and fill out a Request for Day Care form. After receiving your form we will pass this onto our Business Manager Jacqui Macfarlane who will add you to the waiting list. When a space is available the Business Manager will contact you regarding a meeting and paying a £150 deposit to secure your place. The waiting list is reviewed on a regular basis and, whilst we recognise the frustration that this can cause, we do have limited spaces available and we try to offer the sessions you have requested. To view session times and costs please visit the costs page.
To register a free 15 hour government funded place in Red and Purple room through Bristol City Council you can collect a form from reception or click this link to apply online. https://www.bristol.gov.uk/schools-learning-early-years/free-early-education-for-two-years Please note we do not allocate these places and if you are enquiring about your child’s place please phone the council to discuss this.
If you would like a tour of the school please phone the school office on 01179030323.
Nursery classes for 3 & 4 year olds – admissions
All children nationally automatically become eligible to receive a free part-time place of 15 hours per week in the term after they turn 3 years of age. At St Werburgh’s Park we offer these hours either as five mornings or five afternoon sessions. (Unfortunately, due to changes in national funding for early years, we are no longer able to offer full time places). You can register your child for a place in one of our nursery classes after their 1st birthday. Registration forms can be downloaded (by clicking the link in the menu on the right) or picked up from the School Office.
Although we try to accommodate all children whose parents or carers would wish them to come to our nursery school, we do have limited spaces and sometimes this is not possible. In these cases, selection for admission is according to Local Authority criteria, not the school’s own.
Currently these criteria are available on request at the office. All nursery schools and classes send their offers of places to Bristol parents during the first week of May and it is recommended that parents confirm whether they wish to take up the offer of the place within two weeks of receipt of the offer.
Admission procedure begins with a letter from us, accompanied by a slip to send back to the school which will indicate your place preference i.e. Mornings or Afternoons and whether you will require wraparound. You will then get another letter in July with a date and time when two members of staff will visit you and your child in your home. This enables us to meet your child and complete any necessary paperwork. You will be given a start date when you and your child will visit the class. You will be invited to stay with your child for the first session. The following session you will be asked to leave your child for a short period while remaining on the school premises. The time taken over your child’s settling in process will depend upon how you, your child and the staff team feel your child is coping.
There is availability to buy in additional hours but please note, these places are extremely limited. Example: If your child has a free morning place (8.45 – 11.45am), you are able to buy-in the rest of the day until 3.30pm. You are also able to buy-in to Breakfast Club (8.00 – 8.45am) and Afterschool (3.30 – 5.00pm) if required. Afternoon children can also access Afterschool. Please note, before you are able to buy in any additional hours, you must complete a Request for Additional Hours form (available from the school office) and have a meeting with the School Business Manager, Jacqui MacFarlane, to see if buying in additional hours is a suitable option. You will need to buy in 3 sessions per week, minimum. For the latest costs please click here.
FEEE is offered as 5 mornings or 5 afternoons a week. Families who may want a longer day should request a morning place – we only offer paying day care for the afternoon sessions.
You can download our Admissions Policy from our Policies page.
Download our Privacy Notice.
Free 30 Hour Places (Extended Entitlement)
Eligibility for a 30hr place will be as follows:
- Children will be aged 3 or 4 by the 31st August 2017
- Both parents must be working – or the sole parent is working in a lone parent family
- Each parent earns, on average, a weekly minimum equivalent to 16 hours at National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage
- Each parent must have an annual income of less than £100,000
- One/both parent(s) is away on leave (parental, maternal etc.) or one/both parent(s) is on Statutory sick pay
- Parents on zero-hours contracts will be eligible, as are those who are registered as self-employed
- One parent is employed and the other parent has either: substantial caring responsibilities and/or disability; is a foster carer with their own three-and four-year-old children
To register eligibility for a 30hr Nursery Place parents must register on-line at https://childcare-support.tax.service.gov.uk
- Extended entitlement will be offered as follows:
- 5 days 8.45am-2.45pm, term time only.
- Parents may buy in additional sessions between 8.00am and 8.45am and 2.45pm and 3.30pm/5.00pm.
- Parents/carers attending a 30hr place must provide children with a healthy packed lunch each day which must be brought into school at the start of the morning session.
- Only an eligibility valid code will guarantee the funding of the additional 15hrs under this entitlement and it is the parent(s)/carer(s) responsibility to provide this. The school will not hold a place for a child whose parent/carer is still ‘applying’ or ‘re-applying’ or has lost their eligibility code.
Tax Free Childcare Scheme
The government has announced that its Tax Free Childcare Scheme will be rolled out gradually from 28th April. Details of this can be found on the new Childcare Choices website.
You can now apply for a 30 hour place for your 3 or 4 year old on the Childcare Choices Website too. You can start the application process and find out more information there.